Skip to main content

Less Than Jake Multi-instrumentalist Buddy Schaub Shares First Full-length Self-recorded Solo Collection Black Ice: Volume I (self-released)


"Hey! Big news, everyone: my new solo record, Black Ice (Volume I,) comes out today, 2/22/22 at 2:22p.m. You can go listen to it over at my Bandcamp and you can buy the vinyl on my Big Cartel. The links are in my Bio, so check it out," Buddy Schaub (@LessThanBuddy) ecstatically exclaimed within a short video posted to his Twitter page yesterday afternoon. You may know Buddy "Goldfinger" Schaub as the long-time trombone/bass player for Less Than Jake, but he does, indeed, have a musical life outside of that band. These are all songs that he's been earnestly working on since 2004. Schaub finally decided on a format for recording them and converted them to 1's and 0's. He warns fans, "there are plenty more songs where these came from, so stay tuned and enjoy these ones for now." Schaub has been working on these songs, and others, on-and-off since 2004 and previosuly released a 5-track collection, Dissociation, jointly billed to Buddy Schaub / Black Ice back in 2015.


That initial EP billed as Buddy Schaub / Black Ice was recently uploaded to Bandcamp, Spotify, Apple Music/iTunes, Deezer, and similarly-minded digital streaming platforms. Black Ice (Volume I) consists of 15 songs entirely written, performed, And recorded by Buddy Schaub himself. It was mixed by Matt Yonker (Less Than Jake) at Drastic Sounds and mastered by Stephen Egerton (Descendents, ALL) with cover artwork by Jason Miracle and layout handled by Buddy's wife, Edie Schaub. "This project began in the early months of 2004. I was freshly divorced, in serious need of a creative outlet, and had purchased a new Pro Tools [Digidesign Digi] 001 system with some bells and whistles about six months before. I had no idea how to use any of it and it was starting to collect dust. It was time to strap in and get down to business. With Less Than Jake touring so much, I knew starting another band would be hard to pull off, but I really wanted to keep my chops up on all the instruments I play (other than the trombone) and I was dead set on learning how to record music. Then, it hit me: "why not just do all of this at the same time?" Buddy Schaub explained within the liner notes for his first Black Ice record, Dissociation.


"Thus began what has now been an 18-year musical journey for me that I am finally ready to share with you. All of my Black Ice songs are written from the bottom up and by that, I mean that I start with the drums and work my way up from there. This is a pretty normal way to record music when tackling instruments one at a time, but when writing, one normally starts with the chords or melody and works back from there. I have dubbed what I am doing "reverse song-writing," Schaub continued. He recently told us the processes behind the making-of Dissociation and Black Ice (Volume I) were very similar. "First, I set up all the drum mics and start banging away until I come up with two or three patterns and, then, tie them together into a song arrangement with no idea what will end up being played over them. I'll do this until I have five to 10 drum tracks for songs."


"Then, whenever we are home from tour long enough again, I'll pick a drum track and start building the song up one instrument at a time: bass, then, rhythm guitars, then, lead [guitars], never really knowing what will be the end result. At some point, I decide I have a song. There are about 40 of these instrumentals now and I am constantly adding to the pile. This project has not only been an enriching learning experience for me, but has left me with a time capsule of musical moments of inspiration. I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as I enjoyed creating them." Buddy Schaub's Black Ice (Volume I) is now available to stream on Bandcamp. 500 limited edition copies on transparent electric blue vinyl with neon orange splatter are available to purchase on Bandcamp & Big Cartel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[W]reckless, Topless American Youth: Lana del Rey - "Born 2 Die" (Britney Spears Birthday 30)

Lana del Rey [Lizzy Grant] effectively became 2011's "It Girl" with the release of her phenomenal debut single, "Video Games" (Stranger) . Like many struggling singer-songwriters, Grant has been signed, dropped, and significantly changed her public image since bursting onto the scene (2009). With that said, it can be assumed that Lana del Rey has collected just as many "haters" as she has avid supporters. To be perfectly honest, the only other artist I can think of that made this much commotion... garnered so much wide-spread buzz/hate and critical acclaim -- right out of the gates -- with just one track is Britney Spears . And maybe in this post- Mike musical era, that's the true synthesis of Pop Culture: Britney Lynn Spears . After months of repeated teasing and speculation, Lana del Rey 's major label debut, Born 2 Die will [finally] be released this coming Jan. 30-31, 2012. Pitchfork reports that it will feature "Off to The Ra

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of

All-around Breakdown: Sean Martin Discusses Debut Instrumental EP Introducing The Magician As No More Magic (Residual Effects)

Sean Martin is a multi-versed musician, producer, and tattooer hailing from Connecticut. As a guitarist, song-writer, and/or producer he has worked with a variety of well-known artists including Hatebreed, Cold Cave, Wear Your Wounds, Umbra Vitae, Twitching Tongues, Cage, Kid Cudi, House of Blow, Head Automatica, XO Skeletons, Jet Fueled Horses, Handsome Boy Modeling School, and more. His versatility and flexibility within music allows him to blur the lines in-between the confines of Hardcore, Electronic, Metal, and Hip-Hop. Martin is, also, a skilled tattooer at Brass City Tattoo located in Oakville, Connecticut promoting the traditional approach to the craft. Founded by Martin himself between 2020-22, No More Magic combines ominous melodies with downtempo beats to create a dizzying dream-like atmosphere. Paying homage to the golden era of Hip-Hop while forging ahead down its own dark road. For fans of Portishead, Massive Attack, and DJ Shadow. No More Magic's Introducing The