Skip to main content

Emmy-winning Film & Television Composer Silas Hite Unleashes The Beach Boys, Ben Folds & Weezer-evoking Love & Loss EP as "Satin Cowboy & The Seven Deadly Sins" (self-released)



"This is the oldest song on the [Love & Loss] EP. I wrote the lyrics on a plane ride almost eight years ago and I recorded the majority of the music back then, as well. The guitar solo I played on my uncle, Mark Mothersbaugh's sweet '72 Telecaster, when I was still working for him. He was nice enough to share his fantastic guitar collection. The chorus of this song (with beautiful harmonies sung by Sam Nelson, Ricky Nelson's son) came together just a few weeks before the release. I sat on the song for years before realizing the obvious problem—it was missing a chorus! I played all the instruments myself on this one and the vocals were my first take. Something about that first pass just had the right emotion," Silas Hite wrote within a recent emailed statement concerning his composition, "Not Afraid of The Knife." Hite is a self-described "Emmy-winning film and television composer" and illustrator, as well as the frontman of awesomely-titled Satin Cowboy & The Seven Deadly Sins; his previously work includes music which has appeared within a wide array of mediums such as Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!, Netflix original series Chef's Table, Catfish: The TV Show, The Sims 4, The Simpsons Game, Skate 3, and New York Museum of Modern Art. Silas Hite's latest release, billed as "Satin Cowboy & The Seven Deadly Sins," Loss & Love EP—through its five contained songs—touches on a number of various styles evocative of The Beach Boys, Ben Folds, Johnny Cash, Foo Fighters, and Weezer. Love & Loss EP is currently available for unlimited streaming at Silas Hite's Soundcloud page and is additionally available for purchase in either digital or $5 CD formats from Satin Cowboy & The Seven Deadly Sins' Bandcamp page.


"The lyrics are the real story though: my wife and I met when we were children. She lived in Ohio and I would visit Ohio in the summers to spend time with my family there. I had a crush on her when we were kids, but we lost touch for about 15 years. I went back to Ohio eventually and when we reconnected, it was like Cupid was taking it personally that we waited so long to figure it out. We spent four very intense days together; at the end of that time, I had to fly back to LA to mix a record. As soon as I got back to LA, I knew I was making a mistake leaving her behind. In a fit of romance, I hopped on a plane and flew right back to be with her. I just couldn't help it. The lyrics for "Not Afraid of The Knife" were written on that plane ride back. We were both nervous and anxious as Hell because even though we wanted to be together, it still seemed like a crazy thing to do and we really didn't know what to expect. Anyway, turns out, it was the right thing to do. We are happily married to this day and she means the world to me."

- Silas Hite (Satin Cowboy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of...

Pop Artist & Surfer Chronicle Intriguing Ex-Pornstar In "SASHA GREY."

Seemingly made to co-exist as thought-provoking companion pieces... "LINDSAY LOHAN" directors Richard Phillips & Taylor Steele are back with their most recent Art Presentation, "SASHA GREY." The 90-second short film was shot in early May @ John Lautner Chemosphere House in Los Angeles, CA. Both striking flicks will be shown on a giant floating video screen [ "Commercial Break" ] @ Garage Center for Contemporary Culture in Venice, Italy (June 1-5). "Adult acting chops" aside, Sasha (23) seems very intelligent, captivating, free-spirited, business savvy, well-mannered, charming... and dare I say, "average." And I really think that's exactly what Phillips/Steele were trying to convey throughout the course of the piece; Grey's beauty, public draw, sheer likeability, and honesty will surely take her very far in future endeavors... Solidifying her [updated] image as a true "Pop Culture Figure." * Featured soundtra...

Jet Planes, Islands, Tigers On a Gold Leash: Lorde - "Royals" (The Weeknd Remixo)

I think it's pretty safe to say that The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) comfortably teeters the fine line between glitched-out smooth New Age R&B and hard-hitting Hip-Hop ; while the same could arguably be said for 16-year-old New Zealand new-comer, Lorde . Her break-out single "Royals" 1/2 jokingly shouts out semi-common bravado-worthy shit like: diamonds, "gold teeth, Grey Goose ... Cadillacs, Cristal, Maybach ... jet planes, islands, [and] tigers on a gold leash." But now, the Lorde/Weeknd connection has been further solidified, as Tesfaye recently managed to conjure up and release his own "Royals" remix. My beautiful girlfriend said earlier, and I paraphrase, that it "makes her wanna dance lol and she could [likely] hear this remix in a future movie!" Following the wide-spread release of her first 2 EP's (Love Club & Tennis Court) , Universal Republic plans to unleash Lorde 's proper debut album, Pure Heroine between ...