Skip to main content

All-around Breakdown: Crescent Ridge's Derek Schepici, Kevin Merriam & Mike Assatly Dissect Their Debut Full-length Garden of Fools (Forever Never Ends Records)

Cresent Ridge with Mike Assatly (SOURCE: Mike Assatly)

Crescent Ridge is a Stoughton, Massachusetts-based band whose music has been described as Alternative, Rock, Pop Rock, Slacker Rock, Soft Grunge, and Bubblegrunge. However, despite goofy genre labels and fabricated names, Crescent Ridge's musical output has drawn real-life comparisons to the likes of Dinosaur Jr., Foo Fighters, The Lemonheads, Pixies, Quicksand, and The Smashing Pumpkins; so, I guess we can kinda see how someone came up with the sub-genre label of "Bubblegrunge." Crescent Ridge's current line-up consists of guitarist and vocalist Derek Schepici, guitarist Aaron "Ron" Devoe, bassist and vocalist Chris Gill, drummer Kevin Merriam, and part-time guitarist Mike Assatly. Collectively, Crescent Ridge's members have spent time playing with slightly more Punk/Hardcore bands, such as BearTrap, Spirits, Clueless, Energy, and Terminal Crisis, and even our Emo/Indie-leaning favorites Little Low.

Crescent Ridge just recently wrapped up a string of West Coast shows with Cruz, Cage World, Little Low, Shutups, Hit Me Harold, Drainer, Girl Named Pixie, Ted Barber, Clear Capsule, Drive By Cinema, Blimp, Chorus Pedal, Human Musik, Noveleras, Outwest, VTB, and Saviour Complex. Now, Derek, Ron, Chris, Kevin & Mike are all back home on their respective coasts and just this past Friday, released their full-length debut, Garden of Fools, on Forever Never Ends Records. It was produced and engineered by Chris Johnson (Cave In, Deafheaven, Cult Leader) at New Alliance Audio in Somerville, Massachusetts. "Chris is a total work horse and absolute class act. Being able to bounce ideas off him and his patience with us can't be [overstated,]" Derek Schepici recalls about his time spent in the studio. We recently got a chance to wrangle up Crescent Ridge's Derek Schepici, Kevin Merriam & Mike Assatly to tell us all about the making-of Garden of Fools for the latest installment of The Witzard's All-around Breakdown. Crescent Ridge's Garden of Fools is now available on Forever Never Ends Records.


Derek Schepici: Ron [Aaron Devoe] & I jammed on this song two months before the band started with Ron on drums. Fast-forward to after we recorded the LP and we had Ron join on guitar: I think this track is what started it all and was the song we knew would be the first song on the record before anything else.


Kevin Merriam: This song always just brings me back to recording the video for it. It was a lot of fun and I feel like it catches the vibe of the whole album really well.

Derek: The ending of this song is absolute chaos. Kevin murders the drums and I love every second of it
.
Mike Assatly: It's about those hot summer days when you have nothing in the world to do and everything feels slow, but monumental, trapped inside your own mind while the world spins around you.


Kevin: This might be my favorite guitar solo on the album.

Derek: [This] song was fun to write being the most fantastical approach lyrically.


Kevin: This is my favorite song on the album. Playing it on drums is probably the most fun for me. It reminds me a ton of the Foo Fighters & Pixies, even if it doesn't totally sound like that to the listener.


Mike: I think this is our most approachable song. Anyone can hear this regardless of what type of Rock music you listen to and be like, "ah, yeah, I f**k with this." Straightforward for sure.


Derek: This song is about my dog, Kappy. I adore him and wrote it about his day-to-day life when I'd be cheffing [it] up at work for 8-10 hours and no matter how long or sh*tty of a day I had, he would be there for me with nothing but love.


Derek: This is likely the most melancholy song on the record. Over the course of The Pandemic when the LP was being written, I lost several friends and family members to depression, mental illness, and addiction. This song is dedicated to our late friend, Jarrod "Jere" Tracey, and my late cousin, Andrea.


Mike: We re-worked this song probably, like, five times before landing on this version. The outro is the most "Fugazi" thing we wrote.


Mike: The working title for this song was "Third Eye Blind" and I think everyone needs to know that; our most Pop Rock song.

Derek: The uncertainty of life had me feeling the most anxious I'd ever felt. The lyrics are self-explanatory, but I think the music accompanying it [captures] that whole vibe and expression. I feel this best captures the band and has my favorite guitar solo to play.


Derek: When [Chris] Gill & I worked on lyrical content for the LP and, ultimately, what the overarching theme of the record we would be, I had conceptualized the phrase "garden of fools." It's what in my head was the best way to describe where we were from. Gill ran with the idea with some crucial lines and imagery that capture the concept and experiences. That’s why we felt the LP should, also, hold that title.

Crescent Ridge (SOURCE: Mike Assatly)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of...

Pop Artist & Surfer Chronicle Intriguing Ex-Pornstar In "SASHA GREY."

Seemingly made to co-exist as thought-provoking companion pieces... "LINDSAY LOHAN" directors Richard Phillips & Taylor Steele are back with their most recent Art Presentation, "SASHA GREY." The 90-second short film was shot in early May @ John Lautner Chemosphere House in Los Angeles, CA. Both striking flicks will be shown on a giant floating video screen [ "Commercial Break" ] @ Garage Center for Contemporary Culture in Venice, Italy (June 1-5). "Adult acting chops" aside, Sasha (23) seems very intelligent, captivating, free-spirited, business savvy, well-mannered, charming... and dare I say, "average." And I really think that's exactly what Phillips/Steele were trying to convey throughout the course of the piece; Grey's beauty, public draw, sheer likeability, and honesty will surely take her very far in future endeavors... Solidifying her [updated] image as a true "Pop Culture Figure." * Featured soundtra...

Jet Planes, Islands, Tigers On a Gold Leash: Lorde - "Royals" (The Weeknd Remixo)

I think it's pretty safe to say that The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) comfortably teeters the fine line between glitched-out smooth New Age R&B and hard-hitting Hip-Hop ; while the same could arguably be said for 16-year-old New Zealand new-comer, Lorde . Her break-out single "Royals" 1/2 jokingly shouts out semi-common bravado-worthy shit like: diamonds, "gold teeth, Grey Goose ... Cadillacs, Cristal, Maybach ... jet planes, islands, [and] tigers on a gold leash." But now, the Lorde/Weeknd connection has been further solidified, as Tesfaye recently managed to conjure up and release his own "Royals" remix. My beautiful girlfriend said earlier, and I paraphrase, that it "makes her wanna dance lol and she could [likely] hear this remix in a future movie!" Following the wide-spread release of her first 2 EP's (Love Club & Tennis Court) , Universal Republic plans to unleash Lorde 's proper debut album, Pure Heroine between ...