Skip to main content

All-around Breakdown: Don't Panic Frontman Ted Felicetti Breaks Down Long-awaited Debut Album See Through It (self-released)


The Witzard and Don't Panic have a long strange relationship together. Well, maybe, not exactly "strange," but it's definitely one of my personal favorites I've forged over these past 10 years running this very site. It was quite a few years ago, maybe, about 2009 or so, on a complete whim, I saw Don't Panic at local now-defunct Vineland, New Jersey venue Hangar 84. I believe, Don't Panic were opening up for The Ataris and I vaguely recall talking to one of the members' (maybe, drummer Anthony Paesano) parents about it being his first show with the band. Their set was phenomenal and I ended up buying a CD copy of Don't Panic's then-new EP, My Fairweather Friend. One track in particular, "Caroline," quickly became a staple on CD-R mixtapes I was actively making for my then-girlfriend/now-wife.

However, it appears as though by 2011-12, Don't Panic had broken up or, at least, gone on an indefinite hiatus. So, you could imagine we were both pretty ecstatic to hear a couple years ago that Don't Panic had effectively reunited. Don't Panic released a series of monthly singles earlier this year and now, they've returned with their first proper full-length, See Through It All. Earlier this summer, we were fortunate enough to speak with Don't Panic frontman Ted Felicetti for an interview on their 2020 singles series. I recently reached out to Ted to see if he might be interested in penning a track-by-track breakdown on said album. Don't Panic's See Through It All is now avilable on streaming services, so cue it up and follow along with Ted Felicetti's comprehensive All-around Breakdown!


"Some bands might not start their album with a song written by their drummer, but I just think the song is that good. Up until this album I (Ted) pretty much wrote all our songs front-to-back. But one day, Anthony [Paesano] and I were sitting in my living room and he grabbed my acoustic guitar off the stand and started playing. He is, actually, a pretty decent guitarist and vocalist, as well. He started playing this song that I had never heard before. I asked him what it was and he modestly replied that it was just something he had been working on for a while. Well, I loved it. He sent me some demo recordings he had made of it and I got to work making some small changes and writing the vocal lines and lyrics. I had jokingly told my friend, Corey [DeVincenzo] from Patent Pending before we started writing this album that our new album was going to be my version of Lit's A Place In The Sun and Anthony's song reminded me of the opening track, "Four" ... so, it just had to open this record."


"Funny enough, this was our "throwaway" song. We had 10 songs pretty much done and I had this one floating around and figured we might as well just track drums for it, in case I wanna use it. I even called it "The Gin Blossoms Song" because the original melody sounded like "Hey Jealousy." Joe [Ragosta] from Patent Pending was coming to the studio to write some lyrics and melodies with me on some of our songs, so I had sent him all 11 of the demos. When he arrived, he, basically, said, "forget all the other songs. I wanna spend the entire day on this one," referring to what would become "Fall of '99." Somehow, he turned it into our most popular song. That's how it always works, doesn't it? We wrote it about our younger days in the late 90's and early 00's when we had started Punk Rock bands and played in small clubs, ate fast food after shows, and broke down on the side of the road. It was the naivety of KNOWING you will make it and become famous. All you have to do is stick it out. We know better now haha."


"This is the first new song I wrote when we got back from our 8-year extended break from writing songs and touring. One thing that drives me crazy in this day and age is the concept of "cancel culture." I think it's total B.S. People make mistakes or do things they think are "good," at the time, or "fun" or even "funny." Maybe, it is. Maybe, it isn't. It doesn't mean you have the right to ruin their life over it. I'm sure I can dig up plenty of sh*t on plenty of people. It doesn't mean they are bad people. Part of being a human being is learning and growing. If we were all the same person we were 10 years ago, then, our race would be in real trouble. It would mean we don't grow."


"This is my personal favorite song on the album. Mostly because I love A.J. [Larsen]'s guitar line in the outro. It reminds me of a 90's Bryan Adams song and how can that not be just the best? I wrote it about my never-ending internal feeling of not being good enough and not belonging anywhere. I am pretty good at making friends and spending time with groups of people... but I never feel like I truly belong with any of them. So, it's, basically, like you are wearing a different costume that suits the needs for each situation, but the real you inside is just kind of numb through it all. I, usually, have a really happy disposition... so, it's just mostly my anxiety taking over."


"So, I wrote this song back in 2011 right before the band was about to go on (what we didn't know would be) a very long hiatus. We recorded and released it on a short demo EP, but, honestly, we never really "released it." I liked the song a lot and along with three other old songs, decided it needed a new life. So, we re-recorded and updated it. I think it came out a thousand times better this time around. Lyrically, it was about a friendship I had that had, essentially, fallen apart and was just more toxic to each person than was sustainable. It's not about hard feelings, but more about just realizing when It's time to let something go."


"This song was a Frankenstein of a creation haha. When we first started the band in '09, A.J. had sent me the little 10-second guitar riff. I put it on my computer and forgot about it. Then, in 2011 when I was working on what would be our second EP, I recorded this little verse/pre-chorus/chorus that I kinda liked... but, ultimately, didn't finish. That, also, sat on my computer and was forgotten about. Fast-forward to last year when we decided to start working on this new album and I thought it prudent to go through old unused material for some "hidden gems." After adding A.J.'s little guitar riff to the other bit I had written a few years later with some adjustments and... song! The topper was that Jaret [Reddick] from Bowling for Soup had been discussing he and I writing and working on a song together. I had a HELL of a time figuring out lyrics and melodies for this one, so it was the perfect candidate. He and I got together (socially-distanced, via Zoom) and he showed me why he has a double-platinum album. Super-happy with how this one had turned out and even more fortunate to get to write this song with him."


"I was listening to a lot of Pennybridge Pioneers by Millencolin when I wrote this one. It was a pretty straight-forward song, honestly. The song was titled "Regret Is A Terrible Roommate," but the actual lyric wasn't even in the song haha. Funny enough, when Joe [Ragosta] (Patent Pending) was in the studio working on "Fall of '99," he heard this one and, then, insisted I find somewhere to add that lyric in. My brother Rob [Felicetti], actually, changed the bridge to be softer and quiet like it is, which I love and the way I sang it was, actually, a first take. The melody I sang was an accident, but we loved it and kept it."


"Speaking of influences... towards the end of writing this album, I re-ignited my love for the band Bayside. I started listening to a TON of their albums again. Then, popped out this song. I can [definitely] acknowledge that ha. I think this one, also, sounds the most like something my and Keith [Slader]'s old band, Split Fifty, would have released in 2006 haha. The lyrics are a story I wrote about a funeral director and the corpse she is working on. They are singing the song to each other, each envious of the other's position. The mortician, envious of the fact that the dead person lived their life to the fullest and care-free and the corpse, envious that the mortician has had a successful and stable life. I know from some personal experience how difficult that kind of line of work can be and that internal struggle is certainly real not just there, but with everyone."


"This was the second of four songs we re-recorded and the oldest. We, actually, released this as a single in 2010 with our old record label when we were touring for the entire year. It's kind of my tribute to George Harrison and is certainly the most staunch departure from our normal sound. But that was definitely the point. I always want to make sure we do not fit into any box or genre. Our tastes are all over the place, so will be our sound. It was never included on an actual album and I wanted to make sure it got the attention it deserved because I really do think this one is great."


"This was the other song on our 2011 demo EP that we never released. So, we re-recorded it for this full-length. It's very Foo Fighters inspired, honestly, especially, the intro and verses. They are easily my favorite band (although, the past few years of releases have been questionable.) It's about when you hit your breaking point in life; your toughest challenge and most stressful moment. Do you just give up, falter, or worse yet, end it all? Or do you do the things you need to change it up and take the next road to make life better?"


"'Let It Ride" is the final old single we decided to re-release and re-record for this full-length. I waffled on including it in all, honesty... but some long-time fans and friends really love this one. So, I thought it would be only fair to give it an official album release. It's a pretty simple, yet poignant, message that no matter how tough things get, to always bet on yourself."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[W]reckless, Topless American Youth: Lana del Rey - "Born 2 Die" (Britney Spears Birthday 30)

Lana del Rey [Lizzy Grant] effectively became 2011's "It Girl" with the release of her phenomenal debut single, "Video Games" (Stranger) . Like many struggling singer-songwriters, Grant has been signed, dropped, and significantly changed her public image since bursting onto the scene (2009). With that said, it can be assumed that Lana del Rey has collected just as many "haters" as she has avid supporters. To be perfectly honest, the only other artist I can think of that made this much commotion... garnered so much wide-spread buzz/hate and critical acclaim -- right out of the gates -- with just one track is Britney Spears . And maybe in this post- Mike musical era, that's the true synthesis of Pop Culture: Britney Lynn Spears . After months of repeated teasing and speculation, Lana del Rey 's major label debut, Born 2 Die will [finally] be released this coming Jan. 30-31, 2012. Pitchfork reports that it will feature "Off to The Ra

3 Feet High & Rising: Band of Bearded Brothers Cellar Door Moon Crow Unleash Rollicking Single "Whistler" from Upcoming Blues Rock EP (Bandcamp, self-released)

Whistler by Cellar Door Moon Crow British Rock 2-piece band Cellar Door Moon Crow mysteriously found and Followed The Witzard (@SharpCheddar856) on Twitter a few months ago. Their Facebook About section simply lists a brief, yet fitting, mission statement: "Band ~ Beards ~ Brothers Goodwin brothers Phil & Tommy . Sheffield, UK " and their accompanying Biography section contains a similar refrain: "Band ^ Beards ^ Brothers," as well as their Bandcamp page. There really isn't much else to be known about twin brothers Phil & Tom Goodwin , aside from the fact that they make infectious, down and dirty Rock "N" Roll —all entirely written, recorded, produced, and mixed in-house by Cellar Door Moon Crow (CDMC) themselves. CDMC 's Bandcamp page often tags their musical output as " British Rock , Rock, Blues Rock , two-piece band, Sheffield " and I would best liken their sound to a stylistic mix between The Black Keys , Thir

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of