Skip to main content

Baltimore's Drew Scott Assembles Pop-minded Beat-maker Bedrock #13 & Teases Giddeon Gallows' 2018 Full-length CRITTER with "Forbid"


"Nowadays, I'm more influence by the artists around me making making music here in Baltimore. We probably take that for granted a bit, but we're really lucky. When I [first] started making beats at 16-17, I was pretty much just biting DJ Premier and every producer on [Nas'] Illmatic, sampling the hand-me-down vinyl I was given from my friend's weird uncle. As I got older and more fascinated with Pop and Alternative music—especially, the really depressing stuff—my production was shaped by hearing this handful of albums in my early beat-making days. Honestly, it's really hard to narrow down [to] under 10 (I wish I could pick a Prince album or Madonna's first album) but I'll keep it at six."

- Drew Scott (AKA Giddeon Gallows)


I. OutKast - Aquemini (1998)

"First CD I bought with my own money; hearing the 808's and that guitar on "Rosa Parks" at 10 years old was a moment. I already had a pretty eclectic upbringing with music, but this album is the first time I heard just about everything I liked on one disc. It was cohesive, trippy, and futuristic. I immediately became obsessed with all things [Dungeon Family].

Favorite Track: "Synthesizer" ('cause, George Clinton!)"


II. TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (2003)

"The vocals and lyrics still make me want to cry, but their use of minimalism, samples, electronics, loops, and noise makes it all so murky and atmospheric—something I'm always trying to achieve with production. Dave Sitek is a big influence. I love all their records, but this one hit me at the right time in life, as I was getting into making more experimental sh*t.

Favorite Track: "Staring at The Sun"'


III. Portishead - Dummy (1994)

"On my quest to make the bleakest music possible, this is at the foundation. It's so timeless and painful.

Favorite Track: depends on the day, but I'll go with "It Could Be Sweet.'"


Honorable Mentions:

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)
Kanye West - 808's & Heartbreak (2008)
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty (1998)
* only because Paul's Boutique (1989) was a bit ahead of my time.


Drew Scott is a Baltimore-based emcee and producer, who in addition to producing his own music, has recorded, produced, and mixed projects for fellow Baltimoreans such as Al Rogers, Jr. Pale Spring, Vans_Westly, and 83cutlass, as well as remixes for Height Keech, Wildhoney, Outcalls, and Butch Dawson. Scott's second album, ILL VESSEL was hands down, one of the strongest and strangest efforts of 2017 with appearances from Anna Notte AKA Pale Spring, Jumbled, JPEGMAFIA, Height, 83cutlass, Hemlock Ernst AKA Future Islands' Sam Herring, :3lON and plenty more. Drew Scott also functions as part of a number of genre-blending groups such as BLACKSAGE, Luvadocious with Al Rogers, Jr. and Warmest Regards with BLACKSAGE songstress Josephine Olivia & Owen Ross. However, Scott is currently working on a "Bedroom Pop/R&B-minded" side-project called Giddeon Gallows. Here's Drew Scott on his first single from Giddeon Gallows' forthcoming 2018 full-length, CRITTER: "'Forbid" is very much about self-sabotage—every time things are going well, I tend to get in my own way or just obsess about the wrong sh*t or (subconsciously) pick a fight with myself or my partner. I heard Al Rogers, Jr. in my head, when I was making the beat. He nailed it!" Scott says he's drawn influence for CRITTER from his fiancé Emily Wenker AKA Pale Spring, "German artists like wandl & Yung Hurn," Kanye's 808's & Heartbreak, Homeshake, Nick Hakim, Frank Ocean, and Portishead. Drew Scott's first full-length as Giddeon Gallows, CRITTER, is expected to be released in 2018 and will showcase appearances from Pale Spring, 83cutlass, Micah E. Wood, and Al Rogers, Jr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[W]reckless, Topless American Youth: Lana del Rey - "Born 2 Die" (Britney Spears Birthday 30)

Lana del Rey [Lizzy Grant] effectively became 2011's "It Girl" with the release of her phenomenal debut single, "Video Games" (Stranger) . Like many struggling singer-songwriters, Grant has been signed, dropped, and significantly changed her public image since bursting onto the scene (2009). With that said, it can be assumed that Lana del Rey has collected just as many "haters" as she has avid supporters. To be perfectly honest, the only other artist I can think of that made this much commotion... garnered so much wide-spread buzz/hate and critical acclaim -- right out of the gates -- with just one track is Britney Spears . And maybe in this post- Mike musical era, that's the true synthesis of Pop Culture: Britney Lynn Spears . After months of repeated teasing and speculation, Lana del Rey 's major label debut, Born 2 Die will [finally] be released this coming Jan. 30-31, 2012. Pitchfork reports that it will feature "Off to The Ra

3 Feet High & Rising: Band of Bearded Brothers Cellar Door Moon Crow Unleash Rollicking Single "Whistler" from Upcoming Blues Rock EP (Bandcamp, self-released)

Whistler by Cellar Door Moon Crow British Rock 2-piece band Cellar Door Moon Crow mysteriously found and Followed The Witzard (@SharpCheddar856) on Twitter a few months ago. Their Facebook About section simply lists a brief, yet fitting, mission statement: "Band ~ Beards ~ Brothers Goodwin brothers Phil & Tommy . Sheffield, UK " and their accompanying Biography section contains a similar refrain: "Band ^ Beards ^ Brothers," as well as their Bandcamp page. There really isn't much else to be known about twin brothers Phil & Tom Goodwin , aside from the fact that they make infectious, down and dirty Rock "N" Roll —all entirely written, recorded, produced, and mixed in-house by Cellar Door Moon Crow (CDMC) themselves. CDMC 's Bandcamp page often tags their musical output as " British Rock , Rock, Blues Rock , two-piece band, Sheffield " and I would best liken their sound to a stylistic mix between The Black Keys , Thir

"Let Me Shine for You:" Lindsay Lohan for Playboy (Winter 2011-12 Leak)

Lindsay Lohan essentially embodies exactly "What NOT to Do In Hollywood :" Fame, fortune, success... sex, drugs & Rock "N" Roll . Within a fairly short period of time, Lohan somehow managed to obtain a plentiful helping of POWER @ a very young age. This gradual rise-downfall was captured on film; Between 1998-2010, she portrayed a wide array of roles across the silver screen in movies including: Mean Girls, Bobby , Herbie Fully Loaded , Georgia Rule, Machete , and Freaky Friday . Between rapid-paced film shoots, Lindsay Lohan also found time to record 2 Pop Rock albums for Casablanca , Speak (2004) and A Litter More Personal-Raw (2005). Needless to say, Lindsay Lohan has gotten roped up in a lot of troubles and woes with the law over the last 3-5 years... a vicious cycle of drugs, arrest, court, rehab, "daddy issues," jail time [Repeat]. That's the pure basics of it - But Google that shit for additional info, if necessary. Towards the end of